DISCLAIMER:

IF SOMETHING YOU READ DOESN'T SOUND RIGHT, I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO PLEAD INSANITY! Or I've already taken my Ambien.







Monday, June 1, 2009

Happy Birthday Emma Ruth!

Today is my grandmother's 90th birthday. And yes, I call her by her name not MaMa, like everyone else. I used to call her MaMa, but for some reason I stopped. Baby Girl is named after her & she calls her Emma Ruth too. She is my father's mother.

We have a very special relationship. I am her only granddaughter & her favorite (if the truth be known, she likes me better than my uncle). I got my "tell it like it is" attitude from her. My PaPa thought I could do no wrong, he passed away in February 2007 after dementia set in pretty bad, but Emma Ruth has always expected the best out of me. In her eyes I always have to "keep up appearances".

After we got engaged, Rhett & I decided to move in together. There really was a logical reason for this, so I would be closer to school. Emma Ruth found out about this & had a fit! She wrote me this long letter about how disappointed she was in me. I have the letter somewhere, I'll have to find it. Anyway, so we told her we decided not to move in together but still did, she wasn't any the wiser.

She's part of the reason we had such a big wedding! We had to invite everybody whose anybody in the whole county. She loves for me to take her to lunch at the tea room & get pedicures. I also take her to the doctor when my mother's busy! I enjoy spending time with her & she thinks my children are the funniest.

Yesterday, we had a birthday party for her. She said all her friends were dead, but we managed to find plenty of people to attend!

She'll frame this one!

The two Emmas
I just love taking pictures of the food table.

Bridge Club

How cute are my babies in their matching outfits!
Bo is sitting down because he had just stumped his toe BAD!!!

Look what these two did after the party was over!
Imagine that!
I was so proud of Sassy, she acted so grown-up! She served cake & peach ice cream, threw away trash for the guests & was very helpful & polite all afternoon.
Guess she was "keeping up appearances" too!
This evening, we are taking her out to eat & I had a lady make her favorite, coconut cake. She loves sweets. That's why I'm the favorite.

15 comments:

Poolside with the Girls said...

My Ma was Ruth and I was her fav. and only granddaughter too! We have a lot in common. Lovely party, love the kids outfits and the peach centerpiece. Sounds like your Emma Ruth and my Ruth have the same personality. Oh do I have letters! How funny!

Prissy Southern Prep said...

Happy Birthday to her! And, the kids look adorable!

Mrs Anne said...

I think I just fell in love with Ms Emma Ruth!... she's adorable... and her sass makes her even that much more fabulous!

Happiest Birthday to her indeed!

xo

Imjustagirl said...

Happy Birthday Ms. Emma Ruth! May all your birthdsy wishes come true and your kids are cute as pie!

Bamawhitney said...

Love that food table and those sweet matching outfits!

Jessica Ryan said...

Happy Birthday and Cheers to Ms. Emma Ruth! The party looks like it was lovely! I made a champagne Mojito tonight and I thought of you... it was To.Die.for!!! (I have the recipe on the food blog -- it's listed on the sidebar of my reg. blog!)

Mom of Three said...

So cute! I have a grandmother that is 91, and I remember when my sister got a house many many years ago, and had her friends over to help paint which meant some beer drinking, my grandmother showed up and had a fit because she said she raised her granddaughter better then to drink beer lol

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

She sounds awesome! Happy Birthday to her!

Sandra said...

Of course you are the favorite. I wouldn't have expected anything less ;-) Your children {my babies} could be models!! xoxo
P.S. My mom's middle name was Ruth. I love that name, but didn't use it with my daughter. I used a first name that her dad and I could agree on ;-) and my maiden name as her middle name.

Jennifer said...

How sweet! She seems like a wonderful grandmother! Your babies are adorable!!! I saw that you and your girlfriends are coming to Savannah and I have been meaning to comment about that! Y'all are going to have a great time! Are y'all staying downtown? What are y'all planning on doing? I am so excited...you are going to have a fantastic time!

Danielle (Life with the Hewitt Family) said...

What a great Birthday Celebration! I love the matching outfits...so cute!

Elaine at Matters of the Heart) said...

This was such a sweet post. Emma Ruth, I love it.

KK said...

Okay, I have to say that Emma Ruth is the sweetest thing I have ever seen!!! Happy 90th Birthday! I love the pic of you two and the one of your matching babies! What a fun party!!! Gotta love those GA peaches!

wife.mom.nurse said...

Wow. She is just lovely and has clearly dipped in the fountain of youth!

Those are some awesome genes to have inherited!

Happy Belated 90th to your amazing Emma Ruth!

Great pix!

katie lake said...

So cute! I love the picture of her with Baby Girl & the picture in the matching outfits. Too cute!

Related Posts with Thumbnails